Inspiration Board. Get One.

I was blessed with amazing English teachers in high school. I know a lot of people say that, but really I had the best of the best. My freshman and senior years especially.

My final project senior year for my AP English class involved a lot of writing (it was AP, after all). Although the majority of the legwork involved writing analytical essays on books I didn’t particularly care for, I was especially delighted to learn that part of it included a creative writing piece. So I wrote about my secret love: writing.

I got an A, which I was kind of expecting. What I wasn’t expecting were the two notes tucked inside my project from my teacher.

The first was on a yellow sticky note:

I wish I had your dedication at your age (or even my age...). Very few students have the conviction to do what they want like you do; they may study because they know it’s good for them, but they still don’t know what the end game is. Keep reading and writing and calling representatives. Send me the first copy.
 
The second was written at the bottom of my creative piece:

Most people go their entire lives without loving something as much as you seem to love writing. Keep doing it for yourself and eventually someone else will catch on.

I must have read those notes a dozen times during school hours and a dozen more when I got home. I was grinning ear to ear when I read it to my mom.

I was elated when I ripped the note off my project and tacked it on to my board next to Ted Dekker, the most STUPENDOUS AMAZING INSPIRING author EVAR! To me, anyway.  

Now, what is this mysterious board, you ask? Why, it’s an INSPIRATION BOARD of course!

INSPIRATION BOARD AVA? WHAT IN THE SUGARY BLAZES OF HELLSINKI IS THAT?

Eh-hem. Allow me to explain. An inspiration board is that special place where you tack up the things that make you excited. That inspire you. This may be your favorite author. A cover mock-up. Nice quotes from your English teacher. Quotes from other writers. Fake quotes from the future New York Times article that calls your work a masterpiece (don’t be embarrassed, this is YOUR board!). If it inspires you, tack it on there.

Mine has Ted Dekker (of course), the aforementioned quotes (which I read whenever I’m feeling down), some Word Art I typed up to the effect of NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLING AUTHOR AVA JAE (I can dream, can’t I?) and a few random pictures.

What’s on your inspiration board?

Don’t have one? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an inspiration board as well. I have a note from my seventh grade English teacher (Kendra, you write well for such a young person. I expect great things from you in the future.)I have quotes from Stephen King; a picture of my four daughters; a picture of my much-missed grandmother; a card my sister gave me; and a fantastic rejection letter from Jessica Sinsheimer. But I will have to do a little word art of my own. That sounds like a great idea!

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

English teachers seem to be a great source of inspiration for writers :)

Sounds like you have a really great board. Can't go wrong with pictures that mean something to you and Stephen King quotes!

The Word Art is a little corny, but it works. Plus you can change it to say whatever you'd like. ^_^

Unknown said...

Ohhh, I think that everyone should have a vision board too! I have a big check from the Universe for 50 000$ that I like to imagine is my advance lol. But yes, the Secret was a great inspiration for my weak mind. :P Also, I have wallpaper vision boards for love, money, travel etc. Though I have yet to make one for writing.

Oh no, you've actually given me ideas for yet another crazy project that will occupy me for the next week or so. Noooooooo. :P

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

Ha, ha, I'm sorry. Actually, I take that back. I'm not sorry. GO MAKE THAT WRITING BOARD! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...